Knowing When It's Time to Get Your Parent Home Health Care– This Information is brought to you courtesy of Healthcare Resources Home Health
Changes in your loved one's condition may mean home health care is needed. Please call Healthcare Resources Home Health at (817) 633-2273 for more information on home health services.
If you went home to visit family over the holidays, you may have noticed a change in your parents’ mental or physical condition. Perhaps your mother is more forgetful, or maybe your dad’s balance has deteriorated. You might not be sure if your loved one needs help, but you suspect that something isn’t right. How can you tell whether the changes are simply a part of aging or if they’re a sign of something more serious. Caring for a family member or loved one with healthcare issues is often overwhelming and challenging for all involved. It can sometimes be difficult to make decisions and find the answers regarding healthcare decisions. Many times you do not know where to turn for these answers and support.
When you haven't seen a loved one for a while, or even if you have, changes are scary. People are often fearful and want basic information. It's important to listen to the situation, and then try to explore every aspect.
The first step, is to determine if your parent needs medical care. The first step of a home health care company, is to go through the services offered and try to determine whether a parent needs custodial care or if there’s a need for skilled care. If there’s a medical need, we encourage callers to contact their parent’s doctor as well.
The following questions may help provide guidance in finding solutions to some of these challenges and situations. If you can answer “Yes” to any one of these questions, it may indicate that now is the time to talk with your family member/loved one’s physician about how home health care services can assist you in providing your family member/loved one with the care and assistance they may need:
Has your family member been diagnosed with any of these conditions?
- Heart failure or other heart condition
- COPD or other respiratory condition
Have they experienced any of the following in the past three months?
- Serious illness (pneumonia/infection/flu)
- Joint replacement or surgery (knee/hip/shoulder/etc.)
- Falls, dizziness or loss of balance
- Trouble eating or swallowing
Does your family member have difficulty keeping track of which medications they are supposed to be taking, or have they accidentally taken the wrong medication or wrong dose of medication?
Does your family member have difficulty performing any of the following activities?
- Getting dressed
- Preparing food
- Using the bathroom
- Grocery shopping
Is your family member dependent on a caregiver to take him/her to doctor appointments?
Has the frequency of your family member’s physician visits increased or the number of times that they call the physician to deal with symptoms of their condition or side effects of their medication?
Is your family member on medication that makes it unsafe for him/her to leave home?
Is your family member’s medication changing?
Is your family member in need of physical therapy, speech therapy or occupational therapy?
Healthcare Resources Home Health has skilled staff available 24/7, to assist you and your family member/loved one in providing quality individualized care to you as we work toward your goals of recovering from your illness or injury while allowing you to remain at home.
When the times comes to select a home health agency, it is important to assess what type of service you or your loved one may need. Healthcare Resources Home Health may be the answer if you are an:
- Individual who has health problems, but who wants to maintain their independence in their home with the support of a skilled clinician.
- Patient who has been diagnosed with a new illness or has had a change in health status requiring changes in medication, care or treatment.
- Patient who is recovering from an injury, accident or has experienced frequent falls and is in need of therapy services to help them achieve maximum functional level.
- Patient who has returned home after being hospitalized for an illness and is in need of care, treatment and/or monitoring by a skilled clinician.
- Patient who has complex treatments that require use of medical equipment and/or medication monitoring.
- Patient who has a chronic disease and/or disability such as Alzheimer's, COPD, heart failure, kidney disease or diabetes that requires close clinical monitoring but does not want or need to enter a nursing home or skilled care facility.
Healthcare Resources Home Health is RN owned and operated with 25 years of home care experience. We practice stringent hiring processes to employ the most experienced, qualified and skilled staff available for the highest quality of patient care. Please call us at (817) 633-2273 for more information on home health services.
Healthcare Resources provides a broad range of comprehensive services to clients who are in need of acute rehabilitation, skilled nursing, personal care assistance and/or Medical Social Services. Home Health Services aid the clients in achieving and sustaining the highest quality of health, activity, and independence in their own home. Services are provided by experienced, trained professionals under the direction of the physician. An individualized plan of care is established for each client to provide the best combination of services required for continuity of care.